Clinician Meet, Career Advice For Therapists With Heather Binns
We are pleased to feature Heather Binns, working with DirectShifts as a Behavioral Health Therapist with 30 years of experience in providing individual therapy, group therapy, and hospital-affiliated intensive outpatient program for depression and anxiety. An accomplished Mental Health Practitioner with substantial experience, knowledge, and training in many aspects of the field of behavioral health and psychology. She holds a Master's Degree in Counseling from Chadron State College (USA) and certification in Kain Ramsey's Coach Training Program (Scotland).
We asked her to share some of her achievements, experiences, and challenges faced as a therapist with our readers. This will be a source of learning and great career advice to all the new and aspiring graduates and healthcare professionals in 2022.
What do you love about working as a Behavioral Health Therapist?
I've been a behavioral health therapist for over 30 years, working in a variety of career settings in the field of psychology and currently in private practice for the last 15 years. When not at work, I enjoy nature, reading, gardening, working with animal rescues, and spending time with my family. That is the basis of my therapy career.
What career advice will you give to the new and aspiring therapists in your field?
Tips for a successful therapist career by Heather:
- Strive to create a safe psychological environment that allows your clients to bring their whole lives to the table.
- To truly look at where you are without judgment and apprehension. Be satisfied and content.
- Work on building and strengthening your skills and have the courage to move forward in making the changes needed to achieve your goals.
What was the best part of being associated with DirectShifts?
- DirectShifts is out there doing the research, making connections, and scouting for jobs that might be a good match for you.
- Then they reach out directly to you in e-mails and text messages about potential job positions you might be interested in. How easy is that if you're looking for a job or wanting to advance your career?!! That's how I found my job working as a telehealth therapist. I'm 6 months into that job now and couldn't be happier.
- My DirectShifts person who contacted me was Tanjina Hirani. From the beginning, she was on the job helping me with applications, forms, and the onboarding process. Although we live about 12 time zones apart, she is always quick to respond to any questions or concerns I have. DirectShifts' staff are knowledgeable, courteous, transparent, and helpful. I highly recommend signing up for their program.
Closing message to your readers
œI believe that at our core we are all healthy, wise, and resourceful and have the capacity to grow into a life that reflects our values and who we truly are.